Friday, September 10, 2010

Mel vs Python

Now Maya has its own Python engine, I considered learning one of them when I have free time. I have little familiar with some script language because I've learned some programming languages before such as Basic, C++, Action Script, and JavaScript. But I didn't have chance to learn Mel Script before and what I know right now is to adjust and modify the script already exist to make my work environment better.

So, there must be some limitation cuz I didn't make them originally. This made me to think about learning mel or python as I am more curious about it and wanted to make my own tools.

So if the situation is same, I thought that I should learn the better one. Since Python was an up-rising language, I searched what benefit can I obtain when learning that. And the answer is,

No Need to learn Python.

As an animator, things I have been dealing with are only Maya commands themselves so far, for the last 5 years. Well, Python can be perfect to run 3rd party software, in-house tools, or something, easily using Python engine in Maya. But an animator doesn't need that much. For me, what I am doing is just changing graph attributes, toggle views, tweaking gimble locks, and checking motion trails. No need to call a tool outside Maya. If I need that, I may be a Technical Animator rather than a Character Animator.

So this made me to save some time to spend learning a full language. Not for me, Python.

No comments: